Archangel Michael has six roles, or offices, in our lives:
- He is both the Leader of the Army of God, and the leader of the heavenly hosts, in their triumph over Lucifer and all the powers of Hell. Michael is also the Guardian of Paradise;
- Together with their respective guardian angels, Michael escorts the souls of the deceased to their Particular Judgment, then to Purgatory or Heaven accordingly. At the hour of our death, Michael descends from Heaven, presents himself to each soul, and gives him or her the chance of final redemption before dying. Thus, thoroughly upsetting the plans of the Devil and his minions to possess as many souls as possible, for eternity, as long as we cooperate with Michael in our last moments. Michael also requests prayers from us for the Holy Souls in Purgatory, because it is his joy to escort them to Heaven, into God’s Presence, once their purification is completed;
- He weighs every soul with hesed in his perfectly balanced scales, in relation to how much saintliness or otherwise souls have achieved in their lifetime;
- He was the Patron of the Israelites in the Old Testament, and is the Guardian and Patron of the universal Church – especially the Church Militant – in the New Testament era. Michael is also the patron saint of multiple cities and countries;
- He is the Guardian of the Blessed Sacrament in tabernacles around the world and, during Mass, the incense-bearer before the throne of God the Father; and
- He is the Herald of the General Judgment.
- Butler, A. (1821). The lives of the fathers, martyrs, and other principal saints. B. Dornin Press.
- Catholic Encyclopedia. (1911). Retrieved on 2/24/12 from: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10275b.htm
- Jewish Encyclopedia. (1906). Retrieved on 2/24/12 from: http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/730-acheron
- McGrath, M. (2001). Patrons and protectors. Liturgy Training Press.
- O’Boyle, D. M. (2008). Catholic Saints prayer book. OSV Publishing.
- Orthodox Encyclopedia. (2008). Retrieved on 2/24/12 from: http://orthodoxwiki.org/Archangel_Michael
- St. Michael the Archangel. (2006). Tan Books.
- Starr, M. (2007). Saint Michael: The Archangel. Sounds True Publishing.